Waste Disposal Information

All RDCK Landfills and Transfer Stations have resumed normal operations and are accepting payment and all regularly accepted materials.

The Reuse Sheds remain closed at all facilities.

For more information please visit FAQS:  COVID-19 and RDCK Waste Facilities.


This page provides information on the following:

Waste Disposal Charge Account

Waste Disposal Charge Account allows approved customers to go to any RDCK Landfill or Transfer Station and ‘charge’ their waste disposal fees to an account. On a monthly basis, the RDCK will send a printed statement with a summary of transactions and payments processed during the month.  Invoices are considered due 30 days after they are incurred.  Accounts may be revoked at any time for non-payment or non-compliance with waste facility rules and regulations.  Accounts that are not used for a one year period will become inactive and customers will have to reapply for active account status.

Authorized Charge Accounts are considered a privilege for our customers.  Charge accounts should be considered for customers that charge $100 or more per month on a regular basis.  Vehicle licence plate numbers are associated with accounts.

What materials are prohibited/banned from RDCK landfills or transfer stations?

The following items are not accepted for disposal at RDCK facilities:

Schedule D to Bylaw No. 2694

  • Antifreeze
  • Auto Hulks
  • Biomedical Waste
  • ODS Containing Products
  • Free Liquid
  • Gas Cylinders
  • Gasoline
  • Hazardous or Reactive Chemicals
  • Hazardous Waste
  • Hydrocarbon Contaminated Soil
  • Ignitable Materials
  • International Waste
  • Lead-acid Batteries
  • Loads containing materials that are smoldering or on fire
  • Out-of-Area Municipal Solid Waste
  • Paint Products
  • Pesticide Products
  • Petroleum By-products
  • Pharmaceutical Products
  • Radioactive Material
  • Rechargeable Batteries
  • Refuse that would cause undue risk of injury or occupational disease to any person at the Resource Recovery Facility that would otherwise contravene the Occupational Health and Safety Regulation B.C. Reg. 296/97 enacted pursuant to the Worker's Compensation Act, as amended or replaced from time to time.
  • Steel cable that is not cut to 1.25 m lengths, on a spool, or coiled and tied in six places
  • Solvents and Flammable Liquids
  • Specified Risk Material
  • Tight-head Barrels
  • Tires designated with a tread code of C, E, G, L or IND
  • Used Oil
  • Use Oil Containers
  • Used Oil Filters
  • Waste Sharps
  • Such other materials as are designed by the Manager from time to time to be inappropriate for Disposal at a Resource Recovery Facility for environmental reasons related to the safe or efficient operation of the facility

Controlled Waste

Schedule C to Bylaw No. 2694

Material Type


Disposal Facility

Animal feces

(2)  All Facilities
Asbestos - Friable


 Landfills ONLY
Asbestos - Non-friable


 Landfills ONLY
Municipal Wastewater Biosolids


Landfills ONLY
Municipal Wastewater Residuals


Landfills ONLY


All Facilities
Bulky Waste


 Landfills ONLY
Condemned Foods


 Landfills ONLY

Dead Animals and Parts
[quantities less than 1 container
sized 81 cm x 102 cm (32" x 40") or
121 L (27 imperial gallons)]


  All Facilities

Dead Animals and Parts
[quantities greater than 1 container
sized 81 cm x 102 cm (32" x 40") or
121 L (27 imperial gallons)]


 Landfills ONLY
Dusty Material


  All Facilities

Food Processing Waste
[quantities greater than 1.5 m3]


 Landfills ONLY

Fuel Tanks


All Facilities
Industrial Waste


 Landfills ONLY
Infested Vegetation


 Landfills ONLY

Landclearing Debris

[quantities greater than 1.5 m3]


 Landfills ONLY
Large Load


 Landfills ONLY

Noxious Weeds


  All Facilities


 All Facilities *
Tight-Head Barrels


All Facilities
Waste Soil


 All Facilities *

*Quantity accepted at transfer stations is restricted. 
See 'Specifications and Restrictions' below.

Controlled Waste Specifications and Restrictions

  1. Material must be double-bagged in 6mil poly bags.
  2. Material must be double-bagged (any thickness bag).
  3. Lids must be removed so that the Attendant may inspect for liquids.  Container must not have contained any hazardous materials at any time.
  4. Material must be manifested or documented as required by the RDCK and by the BC Ministry of Environment.
  5. 48 hours advance notice must be given to the RDCK prior to Disposal. (The Manager may at his/her discretion permit Disposal with less than 48 hours notice.)
  6. Material must be disposed of at a time designated by the RDCK.
  7. Advance written approval required from the Manager prior to disposal.
  8. Special handling fees apply.  Quantities in excess of 1.5 m3 require advance estimate of special handling fees by the Manager.
  9. Tank must be cut open so that the Site Operator or Attendant can inspect for liquids.
  10. Material must be accepted at Transfer Stations at the discretion of the Manager with advance notice.
  11. Accepted at Transfer Stations in quantities less than 1.5 m3.  Individual pieces must be smaller than 30 cm3.  Maximum three loads per day.
  12. Compact/crushed material may be accepted at Transfer Stations with written approval of the Manager.
  13. Material must be bagged in transparent bags.  Alternative containment methods for large quantities may be approved in advance by the Manager.
  14. Rebar must not project from the surface of Concrete by more than 30 cm.
  15. Must not contain Dead Animals and Parts.
  16. Prior to Disposal, a Waste Soil Disposal Application must be submitted to, and approved by the Manager.  An application fee of $200 is required for each Disposal request. The application must be accompanied by documents that meet the requirements of the RDCK's Soil Acceptance Policy, including soil analysis information and assurances from a qualified professional. Loads less than 1.5 m3 may be exempt from these restrictions if no signs of contamination are present. The RDCK reserves the right to refuse Disposal of any load of Waste Soil.
  17. Accepted at Transfer Stations in quantities less than 1.5 m3. Maximum of one load per day per customer.
  18. Laboratory results must be submitted to the Manager, as requested.  The laboratory results must be accompanied by a tabulated document that clearly identifies the material as meeting the required Provincial and Federal limits for safe disposal at a landfill.

Liquid Waste, Sewage and Septage

The RDCK bans certain materials or special wastes (dangerous and hazardous wastes) that could potentially harm the environment or endanger the safety of the waste disposal facility workers or the public. Liquid Waste such as paint, motor oil and other liquids are banned from RDCK waste disposal and recycling facilities.

Noxious Weeds

Noxious weeds (invasive plants) are accepted at no charge at all RDCK Resource Recovery Facilities for disposal. Noxious weeds must be bagged unless advance arrangements are made with the Resource Recovery Manager.

For more information about noxious weeds (invasive plants) please contact the Central Kootenay Invasive Species Society (CKISS) at 1-844-352-1160 or visit www.ckiss.ca.

Sewage & Septage Treatment Facility Information

Sewage is defined as untreated municipal liquid waste requiring treatment in a sewage treatment plant. Septage is described as treated septic tank waste which requires drying before discharge.

Septage and Sewage Treatment Plants are owned and operated by member municipalities or villages within the Regional District of Central Kootenay. Below are contact phone numbers to call for the hours of operation or procedures for the municipal facilities. 

West Sub-region
City of Castlegar

(250) 365-7227

Village of Nakusp

(250) 265-3689

Central Sub-region

City of Nelson

(250) 352-9345

Village of Salmo

(250) 357-9433

East Sub-region
Town of Creston

(250) 428-2214

Waste Soil

The RDCK's Resource Recovery Facilities Regulatory Bylaw and Soil Acceptance Policy govern acceptance of waste soil at transfer stations and landfills. Please review these documents before bringing soil to the RDCK for disposal.  Please allow one week for application processing before the expected disposal date.

All Waste Soil disposal requests shall be directed to the RDCK (1-800-268-7325). Acceptable materials are dictated by legislation and RDCK policy.  Hazardous Waste Soils are NOT accepted for disposal at RDCK facilities. A Waste Soil Application must be submitted for all soils over 1.5 m3 or any volume suspected of contamination. All Waste Soil Applications are charged a $100 Administration Fee and must be completed by a Qualified Professional, as defined in the Soil Acceptance Policy.

The RDCK shall only accept soils for disposal that are proven to be Waste Soil or Uncontaminated Soil as defined in the Soil Acceptance Policy. 

The RDCK no longer offers a private soil treatment facility service for Hydrocarbon Contaminated Soils; however, both Hydrocarbon Contaminated Soils and Metals Contaminated Soils, as defined in the Soil Acceptance Policy that are approved for disposal through a Waste Soil Application will be accepted at designated RDCK Facilities.  The rate for disposal is $40/tonne.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What do I do if I see someone dumping household waste illegally?

Illegal dumping is a serious offense that affects all of us. When people opt to toss their waste into the bush or other undesirable locations they are trashing your backyard. We all have a responsibility to look after and maintain our environment and we should all take this responsibility seriously.

It is important to include as many details as possible if you are going to make a report regarding an illegal dumping situation. To report illegal dumping at an RDCK landfill or transfer station CALL: 1-800-268-RDCK (7325) or e-mail wastedept@rdck.bc.ca.

If you observe someone littering, dumping household waste, yard & garden waste or other loads of refuse, here are some tips:

  • Record the date, time, location and weather conditions
  • Identify the violator(s) and companions or an accurate description of them
  • Record the vehicle license number and description
  • If you have a camera, take pictures of the evidence at the scene without alarming the violator(s)
  • Call the Ministry of Environment to report littering, illegal dump sites, burn barrels, unauthorized use of a dumpster or dumping chemicals, pesticides, used automotive fluids and other pollutants.
    Report All Poachers and Polluters (RAPP) 1-877-952-7277

The Regional District of Central Kootenay requests that you dispose of your household garbage and yard waste in a responsible manner. Illegal dumping is a serious problem that affects all taxpayers in the region. Illegal dumping can attract wildlife, create health and safety hazards and increase the risk of fire.

Q: How do I dispose of used cooking oil and grease?

Cooking oil and grease are not accepted at RDCK facilities.

For more information and a list of participating recyclers contact the Recycling Council of BC Recycling Hotline: 1-800-667-4321.

Q: What is a transfer station?

A transfer station is an intermediate facility in the waste system where local municipalities, residents and businesses drop off their waste in bins. The bins are then transported to the landfill for final disposal.

Q: Can I take items from a landfill or transfer station?

No. Scavenging is prohibited at all RDCK landfills and transfer stations as outlined in our Bylaw.

Q: How can I dispose of my household hazardous waste such as paint, pesticides, solvents & fertilizers, etc.?

Hazardous waste and free liquids are banned from RDCK resource recovery facilities. Call 1-800-667-4321 or www.rcbc.ca to find out where to dispose of these products.

Q: How can I dispose of my old prescription drugs?

The Health Products Stewardship Association of BC manages unused, expired medications. Most pharmacies accept old medications or syringes for safe disposal at no cost to residents. Call your local pharmacy ahead of time to ensure they are participating in the program.

For a complete list of disposal locations contact RCBC at 1-800-667-4321 or visit www.rcbc.ca.

Q: Where can I dispose of drywall?

Drywall is accepted at any of the RDCK landfills or transfer stations at the mixed waste fee. Both residential and commercial quantities are acceptable.

Q: Where can I dispose of drywall containing asbestos?

Drywall containing asbestos is accepted at any RDCK landfill with 48 hours prior notice given to the RDCK. If you are unsure as to the type of asbestos you are dealing with (friable or non-friable) call a professional asbestos removal company. A special removal or transport manifest may be required.

For more information contact the RDCK at 1-800-268-7325 or e-mail wastedept@rdck.bc.ca.

Q: What are the different types of asbestos?

Asbestos materials are classified as either Friable or Non-Friable asbestos.

Non-Friable Asbestos - Non-friable asbestos can only be reduced to a powder by use of a mechanical device or means other than hand pressure, i.e. drilling, sanding, or abrading.This type of non-friable asbestos is typically found in some vinyl/asbestos floor tiles or fume hood linings and ducting in older buildings.

Friable Asbestos - Friable materials are those items which, when dry, can be easily crumbled, crushed or rendered into powder with basic hand pressure. There is a higher element of airborne dust levels in instances of disturbed friable asbestos material. The main areas in a building where one will find friable asbestos are Sprayed Fireproofing, Mechanical Insulation and Texture Coat Finishes.

*Note that this material must be contained in a double bag system; must be manifested or documented as required by the RDCK and by the British Columbia Ministry of Environment; and Forty-eight (48) hours advance notice must be given to the Regional District prior to disposal.*

Visit our Asbestos Disposal Guidelines webpage for more information.

The content on this page was last updated July 22 2020 at 10:41 AM