Nelson Leafs Recycling Centre
NOTICE - MARCH 24, 2020
Due to the ongoing situation regarding COVID-19 the Nelson Leafs Recycling Centre has temporarily shut down their operations and will not be accepting materials until further notice. Residents are asked to store their materials at home until the situation changes.
Residential materials only - no commercial or industrial materials.
Individual container size limited to 25L.
- Computer, gaming and home theatre systems
- Audio equipment and musical instruments
- TVs and computer monitors
- Phones, faxes and home office equipment
- Air treatment (humidifiers, purifiers, fans)
- Clocks and timers
- Floor cleaning (carpet cleaner, vacuums)
- Garment care (boot dryers, irons)
- Small appliances (toasters, blenders)
- Personal care (hair dryer, curling iron)
- Hand power tools (sanders, drills)
- Scales (luggage, weight, food)
- Sewing machines
- Flammables (strippers, thinners)
- Lighting products
- Used motor oil, filters and containers
- Automotive products (brake fluid, transmission fluid)
- Caustics / corrosives
- Pool / spa chemicals
- Roofing tar / sealers
- Thermometers / thermostats
- Explosives / flares
- Radioactive materials
- Bio-hazardous waste / sharps
- Biodiesel / Cooking Oil
- Compressed gas containers
Bring to an RDCK Landfill or Transfer Station:
- Asbestos (refer to the RDCK's Asbestos Disposal Guidelines page)
- (1)Propane Tanks
- (1)Automotive Batteries
- (2)Large appliances (including ODS containing)
(1) Accepted for free at any landifll or transfer station.
(2) Accepted for free at any landfill or transfer station except Ymir or Boswell due to site capacity restrictions.
About this Eco Depot
On October 16, 2019 the Nelson Leafs Recycling Centre launched collection services for used oil, antifreeze, and household hazardous waste (HHW) in partnership with the RDCK. HHW includes almost any material that residents consider to be dangerous or of which they are unsure. Common examples include old cleaners and other products marked as flammable, corrosive or poisonous that could be lurking under sinks and on garage shelves.
With these new services the Nelson Leafs depot becomes the first full-service Eco Depot in the Regional District of Central Kootenay. Oil and HHW will be accepted from 10:00 am – 3:00 pm every day the depot is open. Residents should talk to an attendant on site before depositing materials and call ahead if they are bringing large volumes. In addition to used oil and HHW the depot at 120 Silica Street also accepts refundable beverage containers, end-of-life electronics, old paint, batteries and more.
The content on this page was last updated March 24 2020 at 11:47 AM