Recreation & Parks Planning
On this page, you will find information about the following initiatives:
- Parks and Recreation Master Plan for Town of Creston and Areas A, B, and C
- Castlegar and Areas I & J Recreation MASTER PLAN
- Castlegar & District Community Complex - Proposed Enhancements
- Blewett/Taghum Boat Launch Feasibility Study
- Area H, Villages of Slocan, Silverton & New Denver Recreation MASTER PLAN
- Nelson & District Parks and Recreation MASTER PLAN
The Regional District of Central Kootenay is undertaking the development of a Parks and Recreation Master Plan for the Town of Creston and Areas A, B and C. The Master Plan will guide the RDCK in making decisions about parks and recreation provision and resource priorities.
The Master Plan will assess the current state and identify priorities and recommendations regarding the provision of parks and recreation, active lifestyle opportunities, and services to meet the needs of residents and visitors over the next 25 years. RC Strategies + PERC (a planning company) has been retained to work with the RDCK to complete the Master Plan. It is scheduled to be completed by December 2018.
What information will be used to develop the Master Plan?
- Inventory of opportunities and their use
- Broad trends in the provision of parks and recreation
- Population analysis
- Relevant local, regional, provincial, and national plans/ frameworks
- Community engagement
- Parks and Recreation Master Plan – Information panels [PDF - 1.1 MB]
- Media release: Parks and Recreation Master Plan underway for Creston and Areas A, B, and C (June 20, 2018)
Consultation with the community is critical to the development of the Master Plan. Residents, community organizations, and stakeholders will be asked to share their thoughts on parks and recreation.
- Mailed questionnaire: In June 2018, residents will receive a questionnaire in the mail. If you haven’t received a print copy of the questionnaire by June 25, contact Ryan Schwartz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Online questionnaire: You can access an online version of the questionnaire with this link: https://ca.surveygizmo.com/s3/50031532/Creston-Areas-A-B-C-Household
- If you would like to complete a group survey on behalf of your organization, contact Ryan Schwartz at email@example.com.
Manager of Recreation, Creston & District Community Complex
Phone: (250) 428-7127
- Download and read the Master Plan [PDF - 7.2 MB] (January 2016)
- Review the Master Plan Open House panels [PDF - 4.1 MB] (November 2015)
In 2015, the Castlegar and District Recreation Commission embarked on a master planning process to plan for and enhance the provision of recreational services and facilities into the future. Findings from this process showed that the community wanted improvements to the Complex, and provided insight for the Commission to move forward.
Several subsequent public consultations have occurred (a public open House, an online survey and a mail survey) to define the scope of the potential enhancements. Thank you to everyone who participated and provided their feedback throughout this process.
The project went to referendum on June 23, 2018 for the borrowing of $22,000,000.00 million dollars for the proposed enhancements. The referendum was declared unsuccessful.
Visit MyActivityHub.ca to learn more about the project.
- November 8, 2017 Open House Panels
- November 8, 2017 Open House Map
- Taghum/Blewett Boat Launch Feasiblity Study Survey
- Area H, Slocan, Silverton & New Denver - Master Plan
- Area H, Slocan, Silverton & New Denver - Master Plan Panels
The content on this page was last updated January 28 2019 at 3:45 PM