Resource Recovery - Notices
(Environmental Education / Invasive Plants / Mosquito Control Program / Wildsafe-Bear Aware / Woodstove Exchange Program)
Environmental Services Programs & Events
(Household Hazardous Waste Events / Trash to Treasure)
FREE Yard & Garden Waste Disposal
During the month of APRIL the following Resource Recovery Facilities will accept YARD AND GARDEN WASTE for free:
- Creston Landfill
- Boswell Transfer Station
- Crawford Bay Transfer Station
During the month of MAY the following Resource Recovery Facilities will accept YARD AND GARDEN WASTE for free:
- Balfour Transfer Station
- Burton Transfer Station
- Central (Salmo) Transfer Station
- Edgewood Transfer Station
- Grohman Narrows (Nelson) Transfer Station
- Kaslo Transfer Station
- Marblehead Transfer Station
- Nakusp Landfill
- Ootischenia (Castlegar) Landfill
- Rosebery Transfer Station
- Slocan Transfer Station
“Yard and Garden Waste” means biodegradable, organic materials, substances or objects including, but not limited to: hedge clippings, weeds, shrubs, and shrub and tree branches less than 15 centimeters (6”) in diameter, chipped Yard and Garden Waste, but does not include:
- tree stumps;
- Noxious Weeds;
- plants or growing media that may have been identified by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency from time to time as infectious or potentially infectious and of which notice has been sent to the Regional District or publicized by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency;
- plant and tree material in municipal street sweepings;
- rocks, sand and Waste Soil;
- fruit or vegetable material; or
- chipped Wood Waste.
FREE Yard & Garden Waste Tipping Restrictions:
- Loads larger than 2.5 m3 must be taken to a landfill.
- Commercial customers must take the material to a landfill.
- Fees will apply to Tree Stumps and Fruit or Vegetable Material.
All Resource Recovery Facilities, including gated Recycling Depots, are CLOSED on all Statutory Holidays.
New Year's Day, Family Day, Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Victoria Day, Canada Day, BC Day, Labour Day, Thanksgiving Day, Remembrance Day, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
2019 Easter Weekend Hours of Operation/Alternate Day of Opening:
- Boswell Transfer Station will have EXTENDED hours of operation on Saturday, April 20th. Site will be open from 9:00 am - 3:00 pm.
- Edgewood Transfer Station will be open 9:00 am - 1:00 pm on Wednesday, April 17th and Wednesday, April 24th.
- Ymir Transfer Station will be open 10:00 am - 2:00 pm on Saturday, April 20th.
For more information visit the Hours of Operation page or call the RDCK office at (250) 352-8161 or the RCBC hotline at 1-800-667-4321. All facilities will close at 2:00 pm on December 24th and December 31st.
The content on this page was last updated April 1 2019 at 10:10 AM