Evacuation Alert issued for Morley Creek
August 11, 2019
Nelson, BC: Approximately thirty properties in the Morley Creek area at 10 Mile, between Sitkum Creek and Kokanee Creek, have been put on Evacuation Alert due to a debris flood. The Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) has been activated in response to the event.
“This Evacuation Alert has been issued as a precaution for properties in the area due to the risk of further debris movement,” said Chris Johnson, the EOC Director. “We are working closely with the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operation and the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure to assess the situation, so we have a better understanding of any risks of additional events or impacts.”
Water access has been affected for water license holders in the area. Residents are advised not to visit the area to check on their water at this time.
Affected homeowners are being notified by local authorities. An area of Highway 3A has been affected by the debris flood, as well as other access roads. Flaggers are on site for traffic control.
The map below shows the affected area.
An Evacuation Alert is a warning about potential imminent threat to life and property, and is a precautionary measure. It is meant to give residents time to prepare in case they need to evacuate.
For more information:
- Current RDCK Evacuation Alerts, Orders and Rescinds: https://rdck.ca/EN/main/services/emergency-management/evacuation-order-and-alert-page.html
- Sign up for RDCK Emergency Notification System: https://rdck.ca/EN/main/services/emergency-management/emergency-alerts.html
- Highway conditions and events at Drive BC: https://drivebc.ca
- Report flooding emergencies by calling 911
- Report any new hazards, such as potential flooding or debris flows, to the 24-hour toll-free provincial emergency number at 1-800-663-3456
- Public weather alerts for BC from Environment Canada: https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html?prov=bc
- Emergency preparedness information and tips from the Prepared BC website: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/preparedbc
Incorporated in 1965, the Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) is a local government that serves 60,000 residents in 11 electoral areas and nine member municipalities. The RDCK provides more than 160 services, including community facilities, fire protection and emergency services, grants, planning and land use, regional parks, resource recovery and handling, transit, water services and much more. For more information about the RDCK, visit www.rdck.ca.
Photos from the event are available upon request.
For further information, please contact:
EOC Information Officer
Regional District of Central Kootenay
View the print-friendly version.
The content on this page was last updated August 11 2019 at 12:20 PM