Extreme weather on the horizon - Evacuation Order for Sheep Creek Road area still in place
August 11, 2018
Nelson, BC: Due to the risk of extreme weather in the area—including lightning and high winds—the Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) is asking residents and visitors to stay aware and informed about wildfire activity that might affect them.
“Environment Canada issued a severe thunderstorm watch for Arrow Lakes – Slocan Lake on Saturday afternoon, so some areas might see strong wind gusts, heavy rain, lightning and even hail,” said Andrew Bellerby, Director of the RDCK Emergency Operations Centre (EOC). “This weather system may affect existing wildfires, such as the McArthur Creek wildfire, and could lead to new wildfire activity in the area. We are asking the public to be vigilant and stay informed.”
The RDCK has readied more Structure Protection Units (SPUs) and crews to prepare for action if needed. Crews have already been deployed from various RDCK fire departments which included Balfour, Beasley, Ootischenia and Tarrys Volunteer Fire Departments.
The McArthur Creek wildfire (N51557) is approximately 56 hectares and is still being responded to by BC Wildfire Service. An Evacuation Order is in place for the Sheep Creek Road area, southeast of Salmo, in order to protect residents in the vicinity. A State of Local Emergency was declared to empower the RDCK to take actions to protect people and property.
The Sheep Creek Road at the Aspen FSR junction is closed. No public access is permitted on further sections of road. Additionally, Highway 3 is currently closed in both directions along the Kootenay Pass from the junction with Highway 6 to the junction with Highway 21 because of forest fire activity. Other highway closures could occur, and the public should visit DriveBC for updates and detour information.
“There are several other wildfires currently active across the RDCK,” said Chief Bellerby. “These fires are being monitored by the RDCK EOC and relevant agencies. If there is any potential threat to life or property, the RDCK EOC will advise the public.”
Updates will be provided via the RDCK website, Facebook and Twitter as more information becomes available.
For more information:
- Current RDCK Evacuation Alerts, Orders and Rescinds: https://rdck.ca/EN/main/services/emergency-management/evacuation-order-and-alert-page.html or call 250-352-7701 / 1-866-522-7701.
- Sign up for RDCK Emergency Notification System to receive notification of Evacuation Orders. Go to www.rdck.ca and select “Emergency Alerts” from the home page, or go to the notification system sign-up page at https://rdckemergency.connectrocket.com.
- Updates on the McArthur Creek wildﬁre and other fires on the BC Wildfire – Interactive Map of Current Fires: http://governmentofbc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=ef6f11c8c36b42c29e103f65dbcd7538
- Public weather alerts for BC from Environment Canada: https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html?prov=bc
- Highway closures and conditions from DriveBC: http://www.drivebc.ca/
- Emergency preparedness information and tips from the Prepared BC website: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/preparedbc
For further information, please contact:
EOC Information Officer
Regional District of Central Kootenay
The content on this page was last updated August 11 2018 at 3:19 PM