Evacuation Order reduced to ALERT for Brooklyn
August 27, 2018
Evacuation ORDER still in place Renata
Nelson, BC: Upon BC Wildfire Service’s recommendation regarding the Bulldog Mountain wildfire, the Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) is reducing a portion of the area currently under Evacuation Order to Evacuation ALERT. As of 1:00pm today, the area including the community of Brooklyn and all properties to the south-east to Shields Point is being placed on Evacuation ALERT. This reduction to an Alert means residents can return to their properties but must be prepared to leave should conditions change.
The Evacuation ORDER remains in effect for the area north-west of Brooklyn, including Renata. A map showing the areas that are under Evacuation ORDER and Evacuation ALERT is below, and can also be found on the RDCK website here.
“The BC Wildfire Service has advised that imminent danger to the life and property of persons from wildfire in the area has diminished at this time,” said Chris Johnson, the RDCK Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) Director. “While the Evacuation Order has been rescinded, residents and visitors should remain prepared to evacuate if required. We will continue to monitor the situation and advise if anything changes for those under Evacuation Order or Alert.”
The RDCK will use the Dedicated Emergency Text List for Renata to inform those who have already signed up for critical updates. People affected by the Evacuation ORDER can text RENATA to 778-400-1771 to be added to a Dedicated Emergency Text List. The RDCK EOC will use this list to send specific instructions to those who have signed up. Instructions could include information like where evacuees should register, where emergency social services are available, or if there is a change or if an evacuation order is lifted. This is a text-only service. The service is free to register, but standard text message rates may apply.
The RDCK EOC will provide further updates as more information becomes available.
For more information:
- Current RDCK Evacuation Alerts, Orders and Rescinds: https://rdck.ca/EN/main/services/emergency-management/evacuation-order-and-alert-page.html or call 250-352-7701 / 1-866-522-7701.
- Sign up for RDCK Emergency Notification System to receive notification of Evacuation Orders. Go to www.rdck.ca and select “Emergency Alerts” from the home page, or go to the notification system sign-up page at https://rdckemergency.connectrocket.com.
- BC Wildfire – Interactive Map of Current Fires: http://governmentofbc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=ef6f11c8c36b42c29e103f65dbcd7538
- Public weather alerts for BC from Environment Canada: https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html?prov=bc
- Highway closures and conditions from DriveBC: http://www.drivebc.ca/
- For the BC Air Quality Health Index: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/epd/bcairquality/readings/aqhi-table.xml
- For tips about living with smoky skies and wildfires from the Interior Health Authority: https://www.interiorhealth.ca/YourEnvironment/Emergency/MajorEvents/Pages/default.aspx
- Emergency preparedness information and tips from the Prepared BC website: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/preparedbc
For further information, please contact:
EOC Information Officer
Regional District of Central Kootenay
View the print-friendly version [PDF - 351 KB].
The content on this page was last updated August 27 2018 at 1:17 PM