Evacuation Alert RESCINDED for Edgewood
August 28, 2018
Nelson, BC: Upon recommendation from the BC Wildfire Service (BCWS) regarding the Mt. O’Leary wildfire, the Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) has rescinded the Evacuation Alert for Edgewood, a community on the west shore of Lower Arrow Lake, effective immediately.
The Evacuation Alert was issued August 23 as a precautionary measure. The alert affected the area north of Worthington Creek, all of Edgewood and the south portion of Needles, along Inonoaklin Valley Road up to south of Robinson Road, including Lower Inonoaklin Road. The original Evacuation Alert can be viewed on the RDCK website here.
“On behalf of the RDCK Emergency Operations Centre, I’d like to thank everyone who has been living with this alert for their patience over the past week,” said Chris Johnson, the RDCK Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) Director. “Thankfully, at this time, the threat to people and structures has diminished.”
The public is invited to attend a community wildfire information session being held on Wednesday, August 29 at 3:00pm at the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 203, 234 Granby Dr. in Edgewood. A regional wildfire update will be provided by the BC Wildfire Service, including the Mt. O’Leary wildfire.
The Mt O’Leary wildfire (N52566) was discovered on August 12, and is an estimated 744 hectares. According to the BCWS, the fire remains out of control and the BCWS will continue to prioritize suppression efforts on this incident; however, the threat of the fire to spread north across Worthington Creek towards Edgewood is no longer an immediate threat.
All other current Evacuation Alerts and Evacuation Orders remain in effect. Updates will be provided via the RDCK website, Facebook and Twitter as more information becomes available.
For more information:
- Current RDCK Evacuation Alerts, Orders and Rescinds: https://rdck.ca/EN/main/services/emergency-management/evacuation-order-and-alert-page.html or call 250-352-7701 / 1-866-522-7701.
- Sign up for RDCK Emergency Notification System to receive notification of Evacuation Orders. Go to www.rdck.ca and select “Emergency Alerts” from the home page, or go to the notification system sign-up page at https://rdckemergency.connectrocket.com.
- BC Wildfire – Interactive Map of Current Fires: http://governmentofbc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=ef6f11c8c36b42c29e103f65dbcd7538
- Public weather alerts for BC from Environment Canada: https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html?prov=bc
- Highway closures and conditions from DriveBC: http://www.drivebc.ca/
- For the BC Air Quality Health Index: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/epd/bcairquality/readings/aqhi-table.xml
- For tips about living with smoky skies and wildfires from the Interior Health Authority: https://www.interiorhealth.ca/YourEnvironment/Emergency/MajorEvents/Pages/default.aspx
- Emergency preparedness information and tips from the Prepared BC website: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/preparedbc
For further information, please contact:
EOC Information Officer
Regional District of Central Kootenay
Tel: 250-352-7701 | Cell: 250-354-3476
View the print-friendly version [PDF - 237 KB].
The content on this page was last updated August 28 2018 at 3:02 PM