Evacuation Alert issued for area south of Renata
August 14, 2018
Wildfire activity south of Renata Creek and east of Dog Creek
Nelson, BC: The Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) has issued an Evacuation Alert for nine addresses located south of Renata on Lower Arrow Lake due to wildfires. A map of the alert area follows, or it can be found on the RDCK website here.
There are three fires currently active in the area, all of which were discovered on Saturday, August 11:
- East of Dog Creek (N52497) – approximately 11 hectares
- South of Renata Creek (N52549) – approximately 72 hectares
- South of Renata Creek 2 (N52550) – approximately 2 hectares
“The Southeast Fire Centre has requested an Evacuation Alert as a precaution to protect people and property in the area,” said Andrew Bellerby, Director of the RDCK Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) and Regional Fire Chief. “If you are affected by the alert, please take the time now to prepare to evacuate yourself and your family should an evacuation be required.”
Under an Evacuation Alert, residents and visitors should be prepared to evacuate at a moment’s notice. It is recommended to prepare an emergency kit and ensure preparedness in the event that the situation worsens, and an Evacuation Order is enforced.
Updates will be provided via the RDCK website, Facebook and Twitter as more information becomes available.
For more information:
- Current RDCK Evacuation Alerts, Orders and Rescinds: https://rdck.ca/EN/main/services/emergency-management/evacuation-order-and-alert-page.html or call 250-352-7701 / 1-866-522-7701.
- Sign up for RDCK Emergency Notification System to receive notification of Evacuation Orders. Go to www.rdck.ca and select “Emergency Alerts” from the home page, or go to the notification system sign-up page at https://rdckemergency.connectrocket.com.
- BC Wildfire – Interactive Map of Current Fires: http://governmentofbc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=ef6f11c8c36b42c29e103f65dbcd7538
- Public weather alerts for BC from Environment Canada: https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html?prov=bc
- Highway closures and conditions from DriveBC: http://www.drivebc.ca/
- For the BC Air Quality Health Index: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/epd/bcairquality/readings/aqhi-table.xml
- For tips about living with smoky skies and wildfires from the Interior Health Authority: https://www.interiorhealth.ca/YourEnvironment/Emergency/MajorEvents/Pages/default.aspx
- Emergency preparedness information and tips from the Prepared BC website: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/preparedbc
For further information, please contact:
EOC Information Officer
Regional District of Central Kootenay
Tel: 250-352-7701 | Cell: 250-354-3476
View the print-friendly version [PDF - 335 KB].
The content on this page was last updated August 14 2018 at 6:20 PM